Saturday, February 28, 2015

World Championships 2015

  I once again qualified for Team USA  and was psyched to join the team at the World Championships in Verbier, Switzerland.  What an amazing venue nestled high in the Swiss Alps.  Verbier is recognized as one of the premiere "off-piste" resorts in the world. 
 
The races that the team will be competing in are as follows:

 
       One of the highlights of the week was watching the Vertical race.  This race had a real Tour de France feel to it.  The crowds were huge and energetic.  The race came through downtown Verbier before finishing high on the mountain. 
Men
  • Eric Carter: 39th
  • Rory Kelly: 40th
  • Jon Brown: 50th
  • Billy Laird: 63rd
  • Matt Burgunder: 69th
Women
  • Lindsay Plant: 14th
  • Meredith Edwards: 25th
  • Jari Kirkland: 30th
Individual Race
 
My first race of the week was the Individual.  I had a disappointing start as a fellow racer skied over my ski at the gun.  This knocked off my skin and as I stopped to place it back on the ski I found myself at the back of the pack.  I struggled up the steep start climb and finally came to the verdict that I needed to take the time to stop and put a new skin on. Eventually I got in a rhythm and was able to catch and pass 17 racers on the first climb.  I continued to pass people to finish a disappointing 55th.  My worst results to date.  This took the wind out of my sails and I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of racing the Teams Race in two days. 
Men ~ Individual
  1. John Gaston - 27th
  2. Jason Dorais - 33rd
  3. Tom Goth - 39th
  4. Scott Simmons - 55th (painful...)
  5. Matt Burgunder (Espoir Division) - 78th
Women ~ Individual
  1. Lindsay Plant - 20th
  2. Jessie Young - 23rd
  3. Sarah Cookler - 29th
  4. Meredith Edwards - 30th
 
Hanging with a spanish World Champion ~ Kilian Jornet
 
Team Goth/Dorais
 
Team Carter/Simmons
Eric Carter and I skied a solid race with no difficulties (apart from me attempting to keep up with Eric on the skate ski section of the course) Eric was a collegiate skate ski racer.  The Swiss spectators were numerous and loud! We came across the line in 19th place. 


Men’s Team
  • Tom Goth / Jason Dorais
  • Max Taam / John Gaston
  • Scott Simmons / Eric Carter
  • Teague Holmes / Jon Brown
Women’s Team
  • Lindsay Plant / Jessie Young
  • Meredith Edwards / McKenna Douglas
  • Sarah Cookler / Jari Kirkland

#1 Fan ~ Crazy Kate
 
Tom Goth, Scott Simmons, Jason Dorais, John Gaston

The Dorais Brothers

European Feed Zone ~ Hot tea, cheese and rolls!


Team USA and Fans

Post Race Downtime with Glen Plake

Glacier Action
 

"A Very Dangerous Area"
(and they're not kidding....)
 
Quinn rocking his new Scarpa skinsuit in Chamonix. 

 Getting a little culture per my wife's orders....
 
A big thank you to Chad Brackelsburg for coaching Team USA.  Thank you to Pine Needle Mountaineering, Scarpa, Julbo and Tailwind Nutrition for their support this season!