Tuesday, March 18, 2014

US Skimo National Championship ~ Crested Butte, CO

Three Races ~ Three Days
Vertical - 1,500'+ Climbing
Individual - 5,500' Climbing, 10 miles
Teams -4,500' (apx) Climbing
A schedule like this doesn't allow a lot of time for recovery.  I wanted to podium in the Vertical without completely burying myself.  This plan quickly went out the door.  I was headed for a third place finish behind Marshall Thomson and Brian Smith but Colin Cares was closing in fast.  I had to kill it to finish third.  I'm still recovering from the effort four days later.
 Everyone got the bulletin to wear yellow (Scarpa Aliens).
(photo: Matson Tew)
 
 Starting line ~ Individual Race
Thomson and Tom Goth took turns in the lead.  They were followed by Dorais, Simmons and Smith.  This pattern continued until we reached the Guides Ridge.  Marshall was the first on the rope followed by Dorais, Goth, Simmons and Smith.  (Once your on the rope there's no passing.)  I could see the three leaders bunched up ahead of me.  When I topped out, Goth was putting on his skis and Dorais and Marshall were gone.  Unfortunately, Dorais skied down the wrong aspect and had to side-step back up.  Tom screamed down the 3,000' descent, passing Thomson, for the win. 
1.  Tom Goth
2.  Marshall Thomson
3.  Jason Dorais
4.  Scott Simmons
5.  Brian Smith
Resting the legs after the Vertical.
More Finish Line Chit-Chat

Teams Race
I was hoping for a mellow start to the Team's Race after yesterday's Individual.  No chance of that...  Goth and Dorais (Utah) were determined to set a blistering pace right from the gun.  My teammate, Thomson, was right there with them but I was hanging back with Brian Smith/Jon Brown.  At the top of the 2nd bootpack all three teams were close together.  On the third climb, Goth/Dorais were out of sight.  I thought wow, "they're flying", however a broken boot (not a Scarpa!) had taken them out of the race .  I had to dig deep to pass Brown and catch Smith.  Thomson and I won the battle to reach the Guides Ridge rope first.  Barring a disaster we had the W.  My legs were shot on the long descent but I managed to make it down and ski across the line with Marshall to take the Teams Race Championship title.
1.  Marshall Thomson/Scott Simmons
2.  Brian Smith/Jon Brown
3.  Pete Swenson/Teague Holmes
 
 A great (exhausting) weekend of racing to crown the season.  Time to go to work and recover!
Thanks to race director Bryan Wickenhauser and all the volunteers for all your efforts. 
 
Nick Gould (Durango) thrilled to be crossing the line ahead of Janelle Smiley and Lyndsay Meyer.