Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Copper Mt SIA Race

Along the commute from Durango.....

Hanging @ the Scarpa tent and checking out next year's gear!

Switching out skins while the competition looks on.
 This COSMIC race was part of the SIA On-Snow Demo.  It included a large field of industry folks racing for their "brands".  A 1,500', steep climb followed by a harrowing descent through tight trees and soft snow got things going.  Marshall Thomson lead right from the start.  He was followed by Colin Cares, Pete Swenson and Jon Brown.  I was following behind in the pain cave.  I actually struggled with wanting to drop out (something I've only done one time in my entire racing career).  I persevered and was able to finish in 5th place.  I seem to have a monopoly on 5th as I've had three fifth place finishes in a row.  Hoping for a better finish in Taos this coming weekend!
 

 The gap widens...

 Crossing the Finish Line
Top 5
 1.  Marshall Thomson
2.  Pete Swenson
3.  Colin Cares
4.  Jon Brown
5.  Scott Simmons

Hanging with Scarpa's Grassroots Marketing Director, Shunnie Chen after
 he completes the "Industry Race".